Careers at Sunfresh:
Fruit and Vegetable Production Worker
Location: Sunfresh Farms Ltd.
Reports To: Production Manager/Supervisor
The fruit and vegetable production worker is responsible for the timely and efficient processing of fruits and vegetables, following food plant sanitation standards and operating procedures set forth by Sunfresh Farms Ltd.
What is the most difficult/demanding part of this job?
Heavy lifting, up to 25 kilograms. Repetative nature of work in a refrigerated, sanitary environment.
The working conditions involved in this job are:
As required, may vary according to production schedules. General work hours will be from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Working over-time may be requred from time to time.
The qualifications, experience and/or training that are required for this job are:
No minimum experience is required. Experience in working in a food processing environment would be an asset.
On the job training is provided to workers on how to clean, wash, sort, trim, peel, pack and operate equipment associated with fruit and vegetable production.
The ideal personality strengths/attributes/characteristics for this job are:
Positive attitude, team player, dependable, adaptable, good work ethic, and a high degree of coordination and manual dexterity.
- Maintains high standards of food plant sanitation in all production activities.
- Ensures good manufacturing practices are adhered to at all times.
- Reports to their supervisor prior to starting work of any illness, disease, or other source of microbial contamination that may contaminate food contact surfaces, packaging or food products.
- Adheres to the company’s production standard operating procedures.
- Inspects and monitors fruit and vegetables for various sources of contamination.
- Immediately reports any observation of contamination to their supervisor.
- Prepares fruits and vegetables using hand-held cutting knives for further processing.
- Changes machine cutting blades configuration when required.
- Operates various machinery and equipment, vegetable dryers, electronic scales, packaging equipment, electronic hoists and metal detector.
- Maintains a clean, well organized work area that is set up and ready for production activities at all times.
- Makes boxes and places finished bags into boxes, which are then placed on pallets.
- Ensures, when packaging processed fruit and vegetables, correct weight, code dating and seal integrity procedures are adhered to.
- Ensures all equipment checks are recorded on worksheets (i.e. metal detector check at beginning of shift, and before and after breaks).
- Completes daily production worksheets.
- Maintains safety awareness in the food plant and production areas.
- Follows and adheres to the company’s safety program at all times.
- Ensures all safety equipment is worn when specified by standard operating procedures.
- Reports all unsafe working conditions to the production supervisor immediately.